Friday, October 12, 2007

l'Eroica


Took us over 7 hours, but David and I completed our first Eroica. We got up at 4 am to be at the starting line by 5, but spent 3 hours talking to people, taking photos and soaking up the atmosphere, so didn't hit the road ourselves until 8:00. Half of the 80-mile-course was on gravel roads called "strade bianche"--David's bike computer registered the steepest climb at 18% on one of these. Going down was even worse, as the steepness + the twists in the road + the potholes and bumps + the gravel made it extremely hard to control the bike. I crashed once, and David got two flat tires because of this. Overall it was the best day of biking, and one of the best trips, that I've ever had. I will think of this race every time I have a glass of Chianti.

No comments: